We are thrilled to announce that Paul S. Reichler joins 11KBW today.
Recognised globally as one of the most highly regarded figures in the field of public international law, Paul represents Sovereign States before the International Court of Justice and other tribunals, in disputes with other States and with foreign investors.
Paul is ranked as a “Star Individual” in Public International Law by Chambers Global. He is described by clients as “A brilliant lawyer, a natural leader and a great manager.”
Paul joins us from Foley Hoag, LLP, where for over the past 25 years he has helped his sovereign clients achieve historic victories in the most significant cases before international tribunals, including:
- Philippines against China, in the South China Sea arbitration;
- Mauritius against the UK, on sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago;
- Uruguay against Philip Morris, upholding health-based restrictions on tobacco sales;
- Bangladesh against India and Myanmar on maritime delimitation in the Bay of Bengal.
Paul is also widely known for representing Nicaragua in its landmark victory over the United States in the case concerning Military and Paramilitary Activities in and against Nicaragua before the ICJ in the 1980s.
Paul’s current cases include representing:
- The Gambia, in its case against Myanmar before the ICJ to prevent and punish acts of genocide against Myanmar’s Rohingya population;
- Palestine, in seeking an Advisory Opinion from the ICJ on the legal consequences of Israel’s prolonged occupation, settlement and annexation of its territory, and denial of basic rights to its people;
- Guyana, in its case against Venezuela before the ICJ to confirm the validity of the arbitral award that established the territorial boundary between the two States;
- Mauritius, in its case against Maldives before the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea to confirm its sovereignty over the Chagos Archipelago and establish a maritime boundary between the two States. In recognition of his contributions, Mauritius bestowed on Paul its highest national award – Grand Commander of the Star and Key of the Indian Ocean – in official ceremonies held in Port Louis on 9 January 2023.
Paul says: “I am honoured by the invitation to join 11KBW, and the opportunity to collaborate even more closely with my friend and colleague, Philippe Sands KC, on cases that make a difference in strengthening the rule of law and protecting human rights and human dignity.”
Daniel Stilitz KC, Joint Head of Chambers, says: “We are delighted that Paul is joining us at 11KBW. I have no doubt that his vast experience and eminence will enrich both our international law practice and Chambers’ community more widely. We welcome him warmly to 11KBW.”